The start of Castle Donington College can be traced back to 1911, when it opened on Monday 9th January in what is now St. Edwards Primary School. The school opened with 216 children (which rose to 224 by February) and only 4 members of staff.
Liaison between Castle Donington School and its feeder schools (Kegworth, Long Whatton, Breedon and Hemington) began around 1930 – a good practice that has strengthened over the years and continues to this day.
The school was re-designated as a Secondary Modern School following the Education Act of 1944 and was responsible for the education of children from 11 to 15. Five years later a House system was introduced (Castle, Cedar & Key).
1957 saw the movement to the existing building just a few metres away. The new building was similar to many schools built at the time. It had 3 floors, provided accommodation for 380 pupils and had extensive playing fields. By the end of 1959, the school was firmly established with over 430 pupils on roll and well set for the future.
From September 1967, the school became a High School under the Leicestershire Plan. Under this scheme, pupils intending to stay on at school until 16 transferred to Loughborough College School at the end of the third year.
In 1970, the High School became one of the first in Leicestershire to accept pupils at the age of ten rather than eleven. To accommodate these children, a new block was added to the building (the 10+ Base). This comprised of four classrooms, a Science room, a craft area, a library area and some small rooms for group work.
In the early 1970s, the High School first became a Community Centre and by the mid-seventies was a Community College and dropped “High School” from its name. It also started transferring pupils at the age of 14, to the new school (Hind Leys College in Shepshed) instead of Burleigh School in Loughborough.
The Community College continued to flourish during the 80s & 90s, developing a very wide community programme and, with the advent of the National Curriculum and Keystage 3 SATs, was regularly 20% above the national average.
Links were strengthened with other schools, local businesses and other countries with extra-curricular activities being very much to the fore.
October 1st 2012, saw another phase in the College’s development. We were granted Academy status.
Perhaps more significantly, the College has been granted permission by the DfE to become an 11 – 16 school from 2017. For the first time we get to realise our ambition and see our children through to their GCSEs. We can’t wait for the results, which we aim to be some of the best in the county!